1 administer or bestow, as in small portions; "administer critical remarks to everyone present"; "dole out some money"; "shell out pocket money for the children"; "deal a blow to someone" [syn: administer, mete out, deal, parcel out, lot, dispense, shell out, deal out, dish out, allot, dole out]
2 distribute or disperse widely; "The invaders spread their language all over the country" [syn: spread] [ant: gather]
3 make available; "The publisher wants to distribute the book in Asia"
5 cause to be distributed; "This letter is circulating among the faculty" [syn: circulate, pass around, pass on]
6 cause to become widely known; "spread information"; "circulate a rumor"; "broadcast the news" [syn: circulate, circularize, circularise, disseminate, propagate, broadcast, spread, diffuse, disperse, pass around]
7 spread throughout a given area; "the function distributes the values evenly"
8 be distributed or spread, as in statistical analyses; "Values distribute"
9 be mathematically distributive
10 to arrange in a systematic order; "stagger the chairs in the lecture hall" [syn: stagger]
- : To divide something
into portions and
- He distributed the bread amongst his followers.
- : To supply goods to
- The agency distributes newspapers to local shops.
- : To deliver or
- A network of children distributes flyers to every house.
- : To scatter or
- I raked the soil then distributed grass seed.
- : To apportion
(more or less evenly).
- The robot's six legs distributed its weight over a wide area.
- : To classify or
separate into categories.
- The database distributed verbs into transitive and intransitive segments.
- : (mathematics) To be distributive.
to divide something into portions and dispense it
to supply goods to retail outlets
to deliver or pass out something
to scatter or spread something
to classify or separate into categories
to be distributive
- Finnish: jakautua
- Japanese: 分布する (bunpu-suru)
- ttbc Catalan: distribuir
- ttbc Dutch: uitreiken
- ttbc Esperanto: dissendi, distribui
- ttbc Old English: dǣlan
EtymologyFrom distributus, participle of distribuo
- Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, 1st edition. (Oxford University Press)
Distribution may refer to:
Mathematics / Physics
- Distribution (mathematics), for generalized functions
- Probability distribution
- Frequency distribution
- Cumulative distribution function in statistics
- Distribution function, in physics describes the number of particles per unit volume in phase space.
- Maxwell–Boltzmann distribution
- Distribution (differential geometry), a subbundle of a vector bundle defining the integrability conditions of a set of differential equations.
- Distributed parameter systems, systems that have an infinite-dimensional state-space.
Distribution theory commonly refers to either the theory of generalized functions or the theory of probability distributions.
- Complementary distribution, in grammar
- Electricity distribution, in electrical engineering
- Purse distribution, in horse racing
- Distribution (pharmacology)
- Population distribution – how the demographics of a population break down
- Distribution Select, a record label
- Key distribution center
- Trip distribution
- Distribution of terms
- Electronic brakeforce distribution
- Spectral power distribution, in color science
distribute in German: Verteilung
distribute in French: Distribution
distribute in Indonesian: Distribusi
distribute in Italian: Distribuzione
distribute in Dutch: Distributie
distribute in Japanese: 分布
distribute in Portuguese: Distribuição
distribute in Sicilian: Distribbuzzioni
distribute in Simple English: Distribution
distribute in Thai: การกระจายตัว
administer, align, allocate, allot, apportion, arrange, array, assign, assort, bestow, bestrew, broadcast, categorize, circulate, circumfuse, class, classify, collocate, come across with, compose, convey, deal, deal out, deliver, deliver over, diffract, diffuse, disburse, dish out, dispense, disperse, dispose, dispread, disseminate, diverge, divide, divide up, dole, dole out, donate, dribble, fan out, file, fix, fork over, forward, give, give in, give out, give over, group, hand, hand in, hand out, hand over, issue, line, line up, marshal, measure out, mete, mete out, order, overscatter, oversow, overspread, parcel, parcel out, partition, pass, pass around, pass out, pass over, pay out, place, portion, portion out, present, propagate, prorate, publish, radiate, rally, range, ration, reach, regiment, render, resign, retail, scatter, set out, share out, sort, sow, sow broadcast, space, splay, spoon out, spread, spread out, strew, surrender, transfer, turn over, utter